County Seat of Goliad County
Goliad is located at the intersections of U.S. highways 59 and 183, and State Highway 239. It originated
as one of the oldest Spanish colonial municipalities in the state.
First known as "La Bahia", a new presidio, but in February 1829 La Bahia became Villa de Goliad. The railroad arrived in 1885-86,
a new courthouse was constructed in 1894, and local farmers raised cotton and later cattle. On May 18, 1902, a tornado destroyed
more than 100 buildings, killed 115 people, and injured 230.
In 1940, the town had two cotton gins, a gristmill, a poultry-packing plant, a broom factory, and fifty businesses.
In 2000 the population was 1,975 and there were 155 listed businesses.