Goforth is located twelve miles northeast of San Marcos, Texas. It was once a cotton production center and was
named for landowner and merchant J. T. Goforth. In 1881 the community built its first school, called Prairie Hill. A post office
operated at Goforth from 1890 to 1902. Although population estimates for the community fell from 100 in 1892 to twenty in 1896,
by 1900 Goforth's ginning company had established itself as one of the busiest in Central Texas. In the early 1900s the prosperous farms
and ranches of eastern Hays County supported a variety of businesses and services at Goforth, but soil exhaustion and erosion began reducing
local agricultural yields, and a flood in 1913 accelerated the decline. Area farms and businesses failed, and Goforth lost population.
The community persisted as the site of a school for local Mexican Americans until 1948, when the school closed. The 1981 county
highway map showed only a cemetery at the townsite.