City Park Charleston, S. C. One-cent Post Card No. 65983. "City Hall Park, formerly Washington Square. Meeting. Broad and Chalmers Streets. Here there is much of more than passing interest. It contains the statue of William Pitt, Earl of Chatham. It was first placed on this square in 1770 but as "it interfered with traffic." was later removed to the Orphan House Park. During the siege of Charleston, a cannon ball from James Island struck off the arm, which was extended as in speaking." [sic] (copied verbatim from card)
Copyright 2000-2007, Texas Water Towers Dot Com. All Rights Reserved.